RUASRT are undertaking a large program to enable safe and effective UAS operation in complex and cluttered environments. The urban canyon represent such challenging environment and represents the research focus at RUASRT. There are a number of focal research areas including; resilient autonomy,
bioinspiration, intelligent guidance navigation and control, acoustics, and swarming/formation flight.
Resilient Autonomy / Turbulence Mitigation Strategies
- Gust Mitigation strategies
- Gust Vehicle interaction
- Gust / Turbulence Modelling and replication
- Novel Actuation strategies
- Worst Case Gusts in Urban Environments
- Rapidly actuated Leading-edge control surface
- Avian kinematics
- Insect kinematics
- Atmospheric Energy Harvesting
- Bioinspired UAS
Novel Drone Delivery Systems
Intelligent Guidance and Navigation
- Integrating various sensors to form an intelligent navigation system capable of both indoor and outdoor flight.
- GPS denied environments
- Investigating the sources of drone noise sources and finding innovative ways to minimise or augment sound for stealth and better social acceptance.
- Experimental and design focused projects