Lead RUASRT researcher, Dr Reece Clothier, has been elected as co-chair of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) Standards Consultative Committee (SCC) on Unmanned Aircraft Systems. The newly formed Sub-Committee replaces the existing SCC working group. The terms of reference for the SCC include:
- Reviewing and analysing all information relating to tasks involving the development of regulations and standards pertaining to unmanned aircraft systems.
- Evaluating and developing options and making recommendations on the proposals.
- Identifying, documenting and raising issues that need attention / resolution and report to the SCC as required.
- Reviewing the impact of proposals using the Legislative Change Proposals procedure.
- Discussing and clarifying the role and expectations of the sub-committee members early in the process to avoid misunderstandings.
- Fostering balanced and complete discussion on proposals.
- Working through all technical, legal and policy issues dealing with the development of regulations and standards related to unmanned aircraft systems.
- Reviewing and analysing information relating to Regulatory Development implementation.
More information on the UAS SCC can be found on the CASA website: